Aug 22nd, 2020
Everything that was expected about COVID disease and outcomes has invariably been wrong. From containment, to death modeling, to public policy and so on. This is absolutely to be expected in a once in a hundred year pandemic. To quote Jeff Goldblum's character Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park, "If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh... well, there it is."
Where do we go from here?
1) Follow individual science based goals of self preservation through lifestyle modification for a more powerful immune surveillance and viral pathogen destruction play. This is achievable in all humans who shun poor quality behaviors as discussed in this newsletter for months. The evidence regarding lifestyle interventions is strong. This is the most important link in the chain of survival. I think that flat out viral avoidance for the remainder of your life is likely impossible as SARS2 is likely here forever.
2) The United States federal policy around infectious diseases must in the future plan for a homegrown and maintained supply chain for all medical tools in the armamentarium of war on pathogens. We can no longer rely on foreign production of preventive protection equipment, drugs, tests and the machines that keep humans alive. This is just flat out necessary.
3) We need a 100% push by wealthy Americans in the US to encourage, through philanthropy, the study of lifestyle modification and medicines for disease prevention. We have to stop the belief that pharmacology is the only answer that will save us from ourselves. I would pray to never again see a commercial where Larry the Cable Guy tells me to eat whatever junk I want because a medicine that he is promoting will make me feel better while I slowly poison myself.
4) We need leadership to encourage all humans to shun political correctness that avoids the difficult conversations while lovingly encouraging everyone to shun bad food, sloth, chemical exposure, and negativity.
5) We need to stop listening to the fear mongering media and reduce our visitation of their sites until they present more truth and news and less politically driven opinion on either side of the spectrum. Less visitation equals less ad money equals a change in behavior. The reason that I listen to Peter Attia, Rhonda Patrick, and other truth based podcasters is that they are looking for answers and not spewing negativity for clicks and ad dollars.